‘Pawan’ means ‘Wind’ or ‘Gas’
‘Mukt‘ means ‘Release‘ or ‘Removal’
One part of Pran is known as Apan which has a downward movement. By practicing this asana the wind i.e. the extra gas in the abdomen passes out easily. Hence this asana is called Pawanmuktasana.
In this asana the colon is pressed so effectively that the entire foul gas is expelled by means of the compression of the abdomen. In case the foul gas is not expelled, it will cause flatulence (distention of the stomach or bowel with gas). If the gas moves upward, it will harm the heart & if it moves still upward, it is bound to cause headache.
How to do Pawanmuktasana (Wind Relieving Pose)
- Begin by lying down on your back. Keep your feet together and your arms on your sides.
- While you exhale, use both your hands to pull your right knee towards your chest.
- Press your thigh into your stomach.
- Now, while you breathe out, lift your head and chest off the floor and touch your chin to your right knee.
- Hold the position for around 15-20 seconds and take long deep breaths.
- Hold it there, as you take deep, long breaths.
- Now, while you exhale, begin to tighten your grip on your knee and push it into your chest.
- Loosen your grip when you inhale.
- While you leave your breath, come back to the ground and relax.
- Switch sides and repeat the motion with the other leg.
- Finally, repeat the pose with both the legs together.
Benefits of Pawanmuktasana
- Pawanamuktasana cures acidity Indigestion and Constipation.
- Pawanamuktasana is very good for all abdominal organs.
- Regular practice pawanamuktasana cures gastrointestinal problems.
- Helpful for those suffering from gas problems, acidity, arthritis pain, heart problems and waist pain.
- Strengthens back muscle and cures back pain.
- It gives flat stomach. Everyone should practice this asana for flat stomach.
- Pawanamuktasana is very beneficial for reproductive organ and for menstruation disorder.
Specific Benefits for Women
- Massages the pelvic muscles and is also beneficial for menstrual disorders.
- Reduces fat in abdominal area, thighs and buttocks.
- This wind realizing pose helps the entire body.
Avoid performing Pawanmuktasana yoga pose if you face certain health conditions, which include:
- High blood pressure
- Slip disc
- Testicular disorders
- Menstrual problems
- Neck and lower back problems
- After the second trimester of pregnancy